“Mohegan Sun” — Staying At The New “Earth Tower”.
Click pictures to ENLARGE.
Attribution WILL be enforced.
The ‘Earth Tower’ at ‘Mohegan Sun’ (CT) is new. It was completed in November 2016. It is the second tower at Mohegan and considerably shorter and stouter than the sweeping and elegant ‘Sky Tower’. I think they can extend it upwards in the future if they see a need.
We stayed in a Double Queen room, in the ‘Earth Tower’, for 4-nights after Christmas, December 28, 2016 to January 1, 2017. When making the reservation (eventually by phone after checking it out online) I purposefully chose the ‘Earth Tower’ because it was new. I don’t think I was given an option as to ‘view’. The room assigned to us, after waiting in line for 20 minutes, was on the 3rd floor sans a river-view. If we go there again I will make sure to specify that I want a room with river-view. Also a higher floor — just for a more expansive view.
But, it was NOT bad at all. Definitely an unmistakable air of freshness, light and modernity.
The Good Things:
1. The room was a decent size, maybe a tad bigger than average for a double queen.
2. Good lighting, lots of light … very fresh and welcoming.
3. Well appointed, very well lit bathroom.
4. Tons of built in USB ports for charging devices. YES. YES. YES.
5. ‘Earth Tower’ is much closer to the self-parking ‘Winter Garage’ than the ‘Sky Tower’ — and that was good because we used the car every day.
6. Electronic ‘Do Not’ disturb sign.
8. Built-in (though we didn’t have a need for one and Teischan used it to keep her snacks).
9. Good water pressure on the shower.
10. Easy enough to get to the restaurant and shops using the ‘Winter Garage’ entrance.
[11. They sent us a FREE chocolate cake the first night. That was a bonus!]
Not So Good Things:
1. No exhaust fan in the bathroom (and why this is so in hotels is an eternal mystery to me even after 60 years of staying in hotels).
2. No drawers — just shelves.
3. Bathroom cabinetry doesn’t extend all the way to the walls — so stuff falls off on the (dirty) floor.
4. Still the usual coffee condiment packets that result in either the sweetener or the sugar sachets from getting needlessly thrown away.
5. The pool at the ‘Earth Tower’ is a joke (as I spelled out in this post).
6. Inexplicably, only one call button for the 4 elevators — when there should be one on each wall as is the case at the ‘Sky Tower’.